Contributing author Joey Slaughter is the owner of Blue Ridge Transport, LLC. A Ringgold, VA based carrier. Joey started his company in 2010 after serving time as an unhappy employee with a local trucking company. The time spent there was not fun but, in hindsight, was a turning point that propelled Joey into the wonderful world of being an entrepreneur. Please visit JoeySlaughter.net for more insightful blogging.
I was able to attend Randall Reilly’s Commercial Vehicle Outlook Conference last week, just prior to the Great American Truck Show in Dallas, TX. The keynote speaker was Dr. Michio Kaku, famed futurist and physicist who is often seen on television speaking on anything scientific, from earthquakes to space travel.
He kept stating to look out and “see the future coming, like a wave and when it comes, ride the wave to riches and prosperity or else you’ll get wiped out!” There’s a lot of truth to that statement and we must be nimble as there will be many changes in our lifetime. Since the beginning of the internet age, which for me was around 1999, the world has changed tremendously. And it’s progressing at lightening speed.
Think I’m overstating? Listen to some of the key points Dr. Kaku made at the conference:
- Computer power doubles every 18 months
- In 2020, computer chips may cost a penny
- Millions of chips will be scattered into our world
- The computer will be everywhere and nowhere
- Our clothing, wallpaper etc. will have embedded chips that can change color as desired
Internet Glasses will be here in the near future in mass. Click here to read about Google Glass. Here are some interesting predictions about internet glasses.
- Able to recognize all faces
- Will display their biography
- Can translate any language as they speak visible subtitles
- Watch Movies
- Scan for the best prices and goods
- Will be your home entertainment center
- Home office of the future
- All this will be available with contact lenses as well
- Supervisors will be able to see what their workers see through their lenses
- Can see through objects – 360 degree vision
Your Living Room Wall
- 360 degree wall screens
- An animated intelligent “robo-doc” will appear and answer 99% of all medical questions
- This will decrease cost of medical care
More medical breakthroughs:
- Smart toilets will scan our urine for cancer colonies 10 years before becoming a tumor
- Diagnostic chips, the size of a normal capsule can be swallowed to obtain internal medical data
- Data can be transmitted electronically to reduce doctor visits
What does it all mean? There will be HUGE changes in the next 20 years, go ahead and quote me on that! Technology will replace repetitive human jobs. It’s already happening with self-checkout, computer screens at restaurants where you order your own food, to name just a few. You need to be in position to thrive in the future. If you’re not in position, there’s still time. Start educating yourself now in new technologies and see for yourself where the future is going. A lot of it is easy to detect if you start looking.